23 March 2005

Unfortunate Branding

Or better yet: "Why would you shop at a store called 'Target' -- especially when Target uses a big red bullseye as its logo?"

Since 9/11/2001, fear of another attack has been used as fuel for cynical political agendas, greedy corporate profits and Orwellian domestic policies -- all things we'll regret long after the fear has subsided or more likley moved on to a new and better enemy.

Fear of terrorism, or the threat of terrorism, has been driven through our social lives on a nearly non-stop basis. I felt myseIf immune to this barrage, but now know I've been changed as well.

This realization hit home as I walked toward the entrance of my local Target store. Looking up at the big red logo, and the name of the store I thought "How crazy to name a store 'Target' -- especially now and most especially with that logo.

Perhaps Target isn't a target. But you know they wish they had a different name.

No comments: