02 May 2005

Peak Oil and Your Next Car

We all know the oil will run out sooner or later. Of course, it will likely run out here in the US last; we'll be able to beat up everyone else and take their oil to prolong our status as the earth's most gluttonous consumers.

But it will run out. Maybe sooner than you think. There are many scientists who think we've very nearly reached the peak of oil production and that the effects of even a modest shortfall of petrolium will have disasterous effects on our economy.

Rather than worry about when the oil will eventually run out, I've started thinking about how to create communities and a lifestyle that wouldn't depend upon oil. I've just started looking, and the notion of riding a bike to work intrigues me.

I know there are more serious issues caused by drop in oil production. One surprising issue is the food we eat. According to "EnergyBulletin.net" it takes 10 calories of fossil fuels to produce every 1 calorie of food eaten in the US. Seems we use a lot of petrochemicals in fertilizer, oil and gas in our farm equipment and even more in our distribution network. Guess there are penalties to be paid for moving away from smaller local farms to giant corporate farms.

Enough of that (I hate weeding and would be terrible at growing my own food). Lets get back to riding a bike to work. I was Googling around looking for the ulitmate commuter bicycle when I happended accross the Go-One -- a recumbant bike shaped like a suppository (nice analogy for when you're heading for work).

The bike is supposedly ultra-light, easy to pedal, and with a small electric assist would make it possible to get to and from work with minimal energy use and with maximum health benefits.

Would it fit on the Monon? The roads from my house to my office are dangerous enough when driving -- I don't think I could ride back and forth every day and not tempt death. So, in our oil-deprived future, I'd have to move closer to work. I figure I'd telecommute most of the time and only pedal in when I had meetings or required face-to-face meetings.

Of course, having the energy to pedal a bike requires food. Guess I should get used to weeding.

No comments: