15 April 2005

Figure out when your number is up!

Wonder how old you'll be when you die? If you're curious, use this helpful tool to find the exact day and second of your death.

The site says I'm not going to die until Friday, May 16, 2036.

Knowing when you'll die is one of the main plot lines in the movie Big Fish. As a child, the character Edward Bloom looks into the eye of a witch and learns how he dies. Knowing this frees Edward from fear. He attacks situations and takes risks knowing "this isn't how I die".

It's an interesting concept. Would you choose to know the date of your death? Would it free you to live more fully or take more risks?

I'm not certain I want to know the date of my death. Part of me thinks it shouldn't matter. Perhaps being reminded of your expiration date might force you to pack a little more experience into each day.

I think I'll tattoo "Best if used before: Friday, May 16, 2036" on my shoulder. Maybe I'll print it in mirror reverse, so it's easy for me to read.

No comments: