13 April 2005

Wrong Number Games

I’m home by myself and the phone rings:

Me: “Hello.”

Caller: “Uh yeah, is Amber there?”

Note: At this point I should point out that I don’t know anyone named Amber. Never have. But I was annoyed at having to get off the couch in the middle of ‘Speed Racer’ just as Racer X was about to save Speed’s life, so I decided to play along.

Me: “Yeah, Amber’s here.”

Caller: “Let me talk to her.”

Me: “Who can I tell her is calling?”

Caller: “Who the hell are you? Put Amber on the phone!”

Me: “She can’t come to the phone right now. She’s not dressed. Who are you?”

Caller: “Not dressed?! I’m Amber’s boyfriend! Put her on the phone!”

Me: “Boyfriend? Dude, your loss -- she’s definitely not your girlfriend now.”

Caller: “What! Put her on the phone!”

Me: “Nah, I don’t think so. It’s been a nice day and I don’t want to ruin it.”

Caller: silence

Me: “Just kidding dude. You called a wrong number. I don’t know anyone named Amber.

Caller: "Asshole.”

Me: "Some days, yeah. Dial the right number next time.” Click.

No comments: